SITES: journal of social anthropology and cultural studies invites submissions for the annual senior student essay competition. Essays must be received by 30 June 2017. The winning essay will be announced on 15 August 2017.
The winning essay will be featured in the Annual General issue published in November of each year. The winner will work closely with the Editor to present the essay in SITES style forthe journal. The deadline for submission of the publication-ready essay to the Editor of SITES is September 15 2017.
In order to be eligible for the competition, the applicant must:
- be a 300-level or postgraduate student in a degree-granting programme when the paper is written;
- be the sole author of the paper;
- submit the paper no more than two years after it was written.
The paper must be an original work based on original research and/or analyses conducted by the author. At the time of submission for this competition, the essay must not have been published or submitted for publication elsewhere.
The following criteria will be applied in evaluating the essay:
- Provides a well-rounded, in-depth analysis of an important social and/or cultural phenomenon.
- Develops knowledge in anthropology and/or cultural studies of broad interest and value.
- Shows evidence of theoretical sophistication: the theory allows the material to speak within the discipline and/or add to the discipline.
- There is evidence of intellectual risk-taking: opens up promising lines of inquiry calling for additional research or work beyond what the paper can hope to cover.
- The writing style is thoroughly engaging and the essay ready for publication in its current form or with minor emendations.
The recommended length of essays submitted for this competition is 3000 to 5000 words (not including endnotes and bibliography). More information, including additional guidelines for authors, can be found on our website.
Enquiries and competition essay submissions should be directed to email@example.com
Due date for submitting competition entries: 30 June 2017
Announcement of winner: 15 August 2017
Publication-ready essays: September 15 2017