Research in Aotearoa/New Zealand

Anthropologists planning to conduct research in Aotearoa/New Zealand will need to obtain a research visa.

Please note that this information is provided only as a general guideline. It is not intended as and does not substitute for immigration advice.

Special visitor visa (for short-term visits)

Academics undertaking activities of a pedagogical, educational, professional management or research nature may be granted a three-month special visitor visa. If you are from the United Kingdom, you may be granted a six-month visitor visa. You will need a letter of invitation from the institute or institutes at which you plan to work. Visit Immigration New Zealand for more information.

Work visa (for visits of more than three months)

You must apply for a work visa before travelling to New Zealand if you wish to stay for longer than three months, make multiple visits with a total duration of more than three months in any calendar year, or undertake any work that falls outside the scope of the Visiting academic category. Immigration New Zealand has more information about applying for temporary work visas.

Work visas are issued on an annual basis, meaning you will need to re-apply each year. A medical and police check is required once every three years. In some circumstances, where the research project is longer term and you need to be in New Zealand for three or more years, you might be eligible for a 3-year visa instead of one year at a time. Contact Immigration New Zealand for more information.